Sunday, December 04, 2005

 

Honest Indian And Other Meanderings

 

I was at my favorite convenience store the other night getting a loaf of bread and some other goodies. My "in my head" calculations came up with about $18 for everything. When the clerk rang it up, it was $43. I ended up handing over my credit card, but when I got in the truck, it crossed my mind that I couldn't be THAT far off, so I walked back in.

Hamman, the owner, asked what I needed, and I asked him, without anger, to check the cost of everything in my bags. He compled, and discovered I'd been overcharged about $16. He refunded the money, apologized, and all was well again.

I think I posted a while back about leaving my tote bag (call it a Male Purse and I'll hit you with the damn thing), complete with $300 camera and a wallet stuffed with cash, plus my checkbook in a grocery cart. I drove home, remembered it, came back. My cart was long gone, of course. I was pretty upset, but I went in and asked anyway. Someone had turned it in, wallet, camera, checkbook and all. Not a dollar missing.

It's nice, in a world of cynics, where divisiveness and anger seem to be the norm, to know that there are still people around with intact moral codes and a basic sense of decency.

Addendum to last post: I can't reveal too much about my friend's immediate family. Father is a contract truck driver. They had a nice home in the north part of Florida, but he moved them down here expecting to break into the real estate development business. He was frozen out by some of the bigger players. I think the daughter keeps this boyfriend to punish her parents for various perceived slights.

Further addendum: while traveling to help Brian pick up an old trailer given to him by a neighbor (I have a towing ball on my pickup, he has none on his car), I saw a moving sale and a situp bench for sale. The bench sells for $88 minimum. I NEED one of these. I pulled in, asked how much, the man said $25, I said "You take $20", he said yes, I handed over the cash and he loaded it into the truck for me. I painted some chipped spots on it today, and started making room for it in the house. Expect me to be sniveling in the near future. I hate exercise.

Comments:
Hey - Vicki said "fuckwit" in your last comments section, and i just thought it bore repeating.

Do some situps for me, willya?

 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?