Tuesday, January 03, 2006

 

Vanishing Poot

 

ANOTHER damn post vanished. This is getting massively annoying!
I go to all the trouble to think up something allegedly worth posting, and when it does manage to survive lockups by my puter, power outages and a host of other evils, Blogger manages to lose it altogether.
What's a mother to do?
Why, press on, of course!
Like Chief Dan George said in "Outlaw Josie Wales", "Endeavor to persevere."
Yeah.
Cousin Anita drove all the way down from Oklahoma and is staying here a week or so. She's pretty cool. When she finishes college, she'll probably move to Florida.
Took her fishing today. Brian, good friend and Mad Fisherman, had caught his first Flounder before we arrived. With six of his poles baited and cast out and two of mine, we didn't catch a damn thing for four and a half hours, when I hung it up. I suspect the annoying little turd on the jet ski at the mouth of the harbor had a hand in that, plus several pods of bottlenose dolphins passed through, which always scares hell out of the fish. I may go back to fishing in the salt water rivers. You catch a lot, even if most of it's junk fish or too small to keep and has to be released.
Now, I've got a light sunburn, that chilled/feverish sick feeling you get from that, and no damn fish. Some days, I tell ya.
Back on track here. Brian pulled the lens out of something he found, I don't remember what, and uses it to light his cigarettes. I like this. I think I'll start doing it too.
Fishing, I'm discovering, is a wonderful way to meet people of other cultures. I see more Asians at the port fishing area than anywhere in the county. A muslim family of obvious middle-eastern ancestry stopped to admire Brian's flounder and comment on it having both eyes on one side of its head, and one side fishbelly white, the other dark brown. A Canadian couple stopped by, asked dozens of questions about salt-water fishing in warm waters, and helped us keep an eye on all our poles. A black guy with massive knowledge of Florida fish stopped by and we talked about what kinds we like to fish for, what a pain in the butt Flounder are to catch, etc. He hates rap and rock both, loves classical. Weirdo. A Mexican family also stopped by. They'd never seen a Flounder except in restaurants. Side note: I've noted the local rapidly growing Mexican population LOVES Chinese food. Me too. I usually see mostly rich gringos at the best Mexican restaurant in the area. Go figger.
Anita commented that it must be nice to live in a visual paradise. Perfect sky, perfect water, trees and all kinds of plants, postcard-like beauty everywhere. We told her we tend to take it for granted, plus developers are trying hard to screw it up. Paradise tends to be like that. Paradise also tends to get a lot of hurricanes.
Well, let's see if this dog flies. Or hunts. Whatthehellever.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?