Saturday, November 25, 2006

 

Star Spangled Boneage

 

Enzyte. That's the stuff that features those wonderful commercials with the hugely smiling "enhanced" Bob.

Boomer the bulldog is staying with me this week. He's not your stereotypical bulldog. For one thing, he rarely drools. Actually, he ONLY drools when he's being given snacks or food. Even though his new family loves him to death, and will be picking him up as soon as they get back from vacation, he's feeling more than a little insecure. This means that he's about 6 inches behind me most of the time, and "assists" me with whatever I'm doing. This is a bit disconcerting when I'm on the toilet, the rest of the time it's bearable. I drive him around when I don't have to leave him in the truck for extended periods of time. He's an excellent travel companion. He's also not a gassy dog. Anyone who has ever had a gassy dog will understand how wonderful a quality that is.

Thanksgiving 2006 is now history. I spent it with friends, and had an unbelieveable feast, followed by a nearly unbelievable "care" package. Of course, when I got home, the neighbors had a second care package ready for me. I'm hoping to finish the last of it tomorrow and resume my diet. Boomer's helping me with the ham portions of the care packages. I'm not terribly fond of ham, but he seems to like it ok.

AOL has, once again, found a way to stick it to its customers. One morning, I couldn't log on. Tried several times. Finally called the cable company that had a deal with AOL. The operative word here is "had". Seems it was cancelled, and I was left high and dry. Once again, I'm reminded daily about how bad dialup sucks. I'm trying to train everyone I know who calls me to call my cell phone, and trying to retrain myself to always have my cell phone turned on and with me so they can. This doesn't help with telemarketers, of course.

The other problem with my online life is my computer. It's 7 years old. It's tired. It's drastically overloaded with stuff. The one good thing about it is, I'm using Windows Millenium Edition (ME). What's good about that? Practically everyone else is using XP. The hackers are just partying with XP users. ME users are so rare they don't even bother hacking people like me. Also, ME was such an awful, problem-plagued program when it was released that many people skipped it and either went with Windows 2000 or held onto Windows 98. I hung in there, grabbed all the fixes and patches as Microsoft released them, and wound up with a truly stable and excellent platform to work from. I have enjoyed sneering as others face "the blue screen of death" while I've been virused, hacked, attacked and been able to fight them off with relative ease, get my system back up and running quickly. It's kind of a shame to watch Microsoft get something right, then march boldy forward and screw it all up again. I suppose that's progress.

Well, it's getting late. The infomercials are starting. Better try to get some sleep.
Y'all hang in there!

Comments:
I got yer e-mail Arn and have been too jaded to reply. AOL just sucks doan it? My computer keeps telling me I do not have genuine Microsoft Windows but when I check useing the authentication tool it tells me it is authentic. I jus wanna bitch slap some programmer or Billy Gates sometimes. As of now I am still here and too broke to do much. I just made my second and final payment on the new pool pump/motor. It works great but the weather has been too cold for swimming. I bought a little sailboat with thermometer extension that disappeared after just one day and night in the pool. I got to see that the pool water is fifty degrees a grand total of one time. I know gripe.. gripe,, gripe. Have a good day anyway muh fren.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?